Friday, March 2, 2012

Chips, really?!


Welcome to March! It's officially Rice & Beans Month and we've come to our half-way mark. Here are some of our daily thoughts...


Day 9: Josiah (7): "Mmmmm! It smells good in here! I like the smell of Rice & Beans month!"

Day 10: We ate Dan's Ginger & Zucchini Bean Sauce. It's sooo good. I call leftovers!  I'm surprised by my delight over this simple meal.  It's really very good.  Why don't I choose this as my birthday or other celebratory meal? I really like it.  Where do I get the idea that fancy, expensive food is better?

Day 11: We went into the store & there was a table of samples set up.  Did you know that they make Rice & Bean chips?  No, seriously, they're CHIPS!  This is fabulous!
Even more super fun was finding them on sale later in the week.
 Okay, so it's like keeping the letter of the law eating these things.  Not simple, inexpensive or terribly healthy.  But can I tell you that they made me want to sing?  God's love for me is tender and extravagant.  He knows that I'd get giddy over seeing these and over-the-top-delighted getting to see them AGAIN at a reasonably indulgent price.  Daniel is my partner in chip delight.  We were SOOO happy over these things!

Day 12: We made hummus today. 12 days in and our first batch of bean dip of any variety. Wow! We've been missing out!

Day 13:  Preparing for a weekend marriage retreat and making six meals of rice & beans.  Rice pudding, baked rice & raisins, lentil & rice burritos, black beans & rice, hummus, & baked brown rice.  The rice & beans month devotional "A Common Meal" has some surprisingly fabulous recipes in the back pages.  This was our baked brown rice and it was super yummy with a side of hummus.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for eating Rice and beans this month. It means a lot to the children in Africa. Beautiful family..
    Much blessings

    ReplyDelete