Monday, February 27, 2012

Reflections

Day 1: I laid down for a nap hungry. I woke hungry. I went to bed hungry.  I remembered that while simple foods fill they do not satisfy.  Fats and proteins and all the extras in between are hard to let go of.

Day 2: JoyAnna (5) was reflecting on the purpose of eating rice & beans and then asked "So is it EVIL to be rich?"   No, my dear, not evil, but certainly tricky. Makes me think of Proverbs 30:8-9: "...give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?'  Or I may become poor and steal and so dishonor the name of my God."

Day 3: Josiah (7) getting ready for school: "The bad thing about Rice & Beans month is that we don't get to eat school lunch."  Something inside me sank. This is our third year participating in R&B month and we attempt to keep the family discussion open as we brainstorm the guidelines for how we will participate.  While R&B month is about sacrifice, it isn't only about what we give up.  Typically our boys pack their lunch four days and get to buy at the school once a week.  By not buying, we save almost $28.  But what is $20, $30, even $300 when our hearts are frustrated?  Does God really desire such a sacrifice?  We took a moment today to re-consider our decision not to buy school lunch during R&B month.  We posted a wall chart with the areas where we can save this month.  We can buy what we choose and then chart our spending and savings... with cheerful hearts.

Day 4: John Z. (10): "Hey! It's Ash Wednesday. We should eat lentils & rice today!" We made LENTil, brown rice, apple muffins & LENTil & rice burritos! Happy Lent!

Day 5: JoyAnna (5): "If I could choose to eat rice & beans or lobster, I would choose rice & beans and not that other yucky stuff!" Ha, ha! I guess it's all a matter of perspective, right?

Day 6: JZ reacting to black bean & brown rice flour brownies: "I'm surprised by the unexpected freedoms during Rice & Beans month!" I smiled. The same restrictions that seem to suffocate also open doors of liberation. Beautiful.

Day 7: Tonight was our weekly celebration meal. We scheduled four of these during our "fast" with each child rotating the menu choice. JoyAnna chose swirl pasta with white sauce, meatballs & carrots with dip. Celebration meals are super fun. Everyone is soooo grateful and full of delight over that which was considered routine merely a week ago. I love it!!

Day 8: A couple of us came down with the stomach bug.  Rice cakes & ginger ale are serving us nicely. We are blessed. 


Daniel getting ready for some red beans and rice...

 Bryan enjoying some meatless chili... Mmmm!

Josiah's spanish rice & refried bean food art


No comments:

Post a Comment